The horse is a masterpiece and very rare regarding its style, details, pigment and period (Eastern Wei dynasty 534-550 A.D.).
Fired in antiquity!!! Antique and Genuine item!!!
Our Guarantee: The above item is guarantee to be of the time period and condition as described, has been exported legally and is legal to buy and sell under all international lows to cultural patrimony.
Outstanding pottery "mingqi" representing a painted pottery model of a caparisoned horse with bridle and blanketed saddle.
Grey earthenware coated with white slip and remains of yellow, orange, white, black and red pigment.
Eastern Wei dynasty (534-550 A.D.) extremely rare!!!
High 43,5 cm, Wide 35 cm. Original pigments!
- The results of thermoluminescence tests are consistent with the dating of this object. Eastern Wei (534-550 A.D.) Sampling of 3 different parts - back of the horse, belly of the horse, chin of the horse.
- Extra test: Pre-dose test has been done: Pre-dose test confirms old firing without any kind of artificial x-ray treatments!
Provenance: very important and old private Dutch collection, Mr. M., Amsterdam, and thence by descent.
Well-modelled standing foursquare on a rectangular base, the slender curved head with crisply flared nostrils and picked ears. The arched neck painted in yellow with a scalloped black border to indicate the mane, the trappings including crisply detailed bridle, chest collar applied with florette - molded tufts, and crouper that continues under the tail, the saddle draped with a long-flared cloth carved with fringe, with traces of white, black, red, brown, green and orange pigment.
- A certificate of authenticity by Becker Antiques (specialist in Chinese pottery since 1969, Amsterdam) will accompany the item.
- All items can be bought/sold legally under the cultural patrimony covering The Netherlands and are guaranteed to be as described, or else your money will be refunded.
The seller guarantees that he is entitled to ship this lot.
It will be professionally packed and safely send in a wooden crate by FedEx.
Buyers are responsible for import regulation and restrictions of their own country
Becker Antiques is one of the most leading reputable antique dealers in the Netherlands. Becker Antiques is a name and place that speaks of excellent antiques and art, outstanding service and worldwide expertise. Founded in 1969 by Jan Simon Becker, Becker Antiques is based in Museum quarter, Amsterdam Oud-Zoud, in a magnificent five-floor townhouse build 1891, at a few minutes from “Rijksmuseum” (National Museum of Art), the Van Gogh Museum and the famous “Royal Concertgebouw”.
Becker Antiques main field covers ceramics – pottery funerary figures (dated from the Han through the Ming dynasties), Buddhist sculptures and other Chinese works of art. Our other sections are Asian works of art – concerns objects from Japan and South East Asian countries including bronze, stone and wooden sculptures, Chinese furniture from the Qing Dynasty and of course occasional other items.
For the last 52 years we have been selling antiques to museums, private collectors and dealers all over the world.
The seller of this lot hereby guarantees that this object was obtained legally. The seller guarantees that he is entitled to ship this object(s). The seller will take care that any necessary permits will be arranged. The seller will inform the buyer about this if this takes more than a few days.
Catawiki disclaimer: This piece has been dated based on a TL test. No further tests, such as, an analysis of pigments or radiography scans have been conducted to check the integrity of the piece.
- Mingqi, Un chef-d'œuvre
- Peint à la main
- Terre cuite
- Dynastie des Wei de l'Est (534-550 après J.-C.)
- Région/ Pays d’origine
- Titre de l’œuvre d’art
- Extremely Rare Large Standing Caparisoned Horse with Bridle & Blanketed Saddle, TL test, H 43,5 cm.
- Très bon état, voir la description
- 43.5×35×20 cm