Big bust of Artemis in white marble by the Italian sculptor Guglielmo Pugi (1850 - 1915).
Artemis is the Greek goddess of the hunt, wilderness, wide animals and the Moon, the reason why the bust has a crescent moon or horn on its head.
She was one of the most widely venerated of the Ancient Greek deities and her temple at Ephesus was one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
The bust is finely carved, and made from a beautiful marble.
It comes from a familial collection in Western France, and was bought to an art dealer more than 40 years ago.
To be noted the aged condition of the sculpture:
- One corner of the basement is missing (as shown on the last picture)
- A small shortage on the bust’s left horn
The bust will carefully be shipped and insured.
- Nombre d’articles
- Artémis - 49 cm, Buste, Sculpture
- Période estimée
- Seconde moitié du XIXe siècle
- Pays d’origine
- Bon état - quelques usures et tâches dues à l’âge
- 49×27×16 cm
- 14 kg