Giorgio Liberale (1527–c.79) ; W. Meyerpeck
2 superb near folio woodcut in fine (later) hand colour on one leaf.
Leaf: 33.5 x 22.8 cms.
Pietro Andrea Mattioli (Siena 1501 - Trento 1568)
Herbarz. Prag, G. Melantrich, 1562
Bibliographical references: Nissen, BBI 1314; Pritzel 5992; Anderson, Herbals 163.
"Many of these woodcuts were so delicately cut, that the blocks soon became worn. The 'first impressions' of such woodcuts were undoubtedly the best" (Savage 127).
Pietro Andrea Mattioli's (1500–77) Herbarz (1562) was one of the most significant editions of Mattioli's commentary on Dioscorides (circa A.D. 40–90). It is also one of scarcest herbals, with less than a handful of copies extant in North America.
Giorgio Liberale was an Italian artist from Udine who had been working for the imperial court in Prague. In this role he produced some 600 large blocks that were used in the Prague edition of Matthioli’s Herbal. The work resulted in some of the finest woodcuts of any herbal produced in any century.
- Feuille simple
- Nombre de livres
- Botanique, Incunable et premières impressions
- Auteur/ Illustrateur
- Giorgio Liberale (1527–79); W. Meyerpeck
- Titre du livre
- Two types of Dogwood (Cornus sanguinea) - 2 Folio woodcuts on verso and recto of one leaf
- Très bon état
- Année de publication de l’ouvrage le plus ancien
- 1ère édition
- Près du folio avec 2 grandes gravures sur bois en couleur main.
- Langue originale
- Page volante