This ten volume work has been published in at least sixteen different editions in 1897-1898, with hand coloured albumin photos. More than 344,500 photos were printed and tipped-in for this purpose.
This later edition of eight volumes, containing partly the same photos, has more than 143 images, many being hand coloured collotypes printed on special paper. This is no. 102 from a limited edition of 1,000.
In mixed condition. This is a so-called ‘working copy’. Volumes 1, 6 and 7 have water stains and are in bad condition. Volumes 3 and 8 are reasonable, and volumes 2, 4 and 5 are in good condition. Linen bindings with red leather vignettes on the spine, gilded page edges on the top.
Captain Brinkley came to Japan in 1867 as a ship’s officer and married the daughter of a samurai and this way learned to speak, read and write the language. He became professor of mathematics at the later Tokyo University and became owner, editor and publisher of the Japan Mail.
The publication of the book was sponsored by the Japanese government for promotion purposes after the victory on China.
- Nombre de livres
- Art, Histoire, Livres illustrés
- Auteur/ Illustrateur
- Captain F. Brinkley
- Titre du livre
- Japan. Its History, Arts, and Literature. Vol 1-8.
- Varié / Divers
- Année de publication de l’ouvrage le plus ancien
- Année de publication de l’ouvrage le plus récent
- 1ère édition dans ce format
- Langue originale
- London, J.B. Millet, 1901
- Couverture rigide
- Édition limitée, Édition numérotée, Illustrations mise en couleurs à la main
- Nombre de pages
- 24×16 cm