(4), 72 pp. XXIII lithogr. plates on heavier paper; 5 plates are coloured. DIsbound; former part of the Denkschriften der Kaiserlichen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Mathematisch-Naturwissenschaftliche Klasse. Vierter Band, Wien, 1852. Titelpage and table of contents are still present. Some small library stamps. Last plate loose.
Even in this condition the text pages and plates are very good.
* Karl Rokitansky (1804-1878) was one of the towering figures who made the New Vienna School into a world medical centre in the second half of the nineteenth century. His contributions were fundamental to the establishment of pathology as a recognised science. He was the first person to show bacteria in lesions of bacterial endocarditis and to distinguish between lobar and bronchopneumonia. He gave an outstanding account of yellow atrophy of the liver, naming that disorder in 1843. He gave the first descriptions of spondylolithesis and the pelvic deformations which result there from in 1839, first described acute dilatation of the stomach in 1842, and differentiated Bright's disease from amyloid degeneration of the kidney. This book is his outstanding monograph on diseases of the arteries.
** This lot is part of an important collection that will be auctioned in the coming months through the Catawiki Collection Service. If you also need assistance to sell your collection at auction, ask for our terms directly at this seller's account!
- Nombre de livres
- Anatomie, Médecine
- Auteur/ Illustrateur
- Karl Rokitansky
- Titre du livre
- Ueber einige der wichtigsten Krankheiten der Arterien
- État raisonnable
- Année de publication de l’ouvrage le plus ancien
- 1ère édition dans ce format
- Langue d’origine
- Wien, Kaiserlich-Königlichen Hof- und Staatsdruckerei
- 39×28 cm