Rare Italian map of the Island of Hormuz (one of the most important ports in the Middle East at the time as it controlled seaway trading routes through the Persian Gulf to India and East Africa) embellished by many vessels and galleons in the sea.
The fortress, old town with "Alkoran" minaret, the church of St. Lucia and a Royal Palace are nicely named.
Bandar Abbas is shown on the distant Persian Coast by the archaic Italian name of Carnain.
The map was engraved by Francesco Sesone is from the rare "Storia Generale de Viaggi per Mare e per Terra" published in Naples in 1754 by Cervone.
The maps in this work re-engraved after Bellin/Van Schley have some differences from the other editions. Folds as issued
- Pays (lieu géographique actuel)
- Spécification géographique
- Persian Gulf, Hormuz Island
- Cartographe/ Éditeur
- F. Sesone / Cervoni
- Titre du livre / Carte
- Isola d'Ormus
- Bon état
- Gravure sur cuivre
- Informations supplémentaires
- Rare édition italienne pirate de la carte d'Hormoz d'après Bellin / Van Schley
- Taille de la plus grande image
- 13.5×17.5 cm